Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Facebook Profile for My Brother, Will. . .

I prefer Facebook to My Space. My Space is creepy because it is an outlet which allows anyone on the web to view a profile. There is of course an obvious rebuttle that would probably be that it is not creepy because the profile is in the hands of its posessor. Therefore, he or she is in control of what the page displays to the web (world). To my knowledge, My Space is a phenomenon that exploded at the fingertips of the adolescents who were not able to participate in the Facebook Phenomenon. For some time Facebook was not all inclusive like My Space has been from its birth. I think that there enlies the "creepy" issue. Adolescents are over-exposing themselves to potential stalkers, pedofiles, etc. There is also a differnt side to My Space, which is its use for publicity on part of musical groups and such. I also know that there are older people who publish their profiles more responsibly.
I now have to acknowlege that as Facebook has evloved over the past three or so years, it has become more and more revealing. In my opinion, a HUGE difference is that Facebook is as private as the profile holder wants for it to be. A turn-off might be that it has a set, structured template so it does not allow one to be as creative as a My Space page would be.
It is for all of the above reasons that I have chosen to design an imaginary Facebook Profile for my brother, Will, who thinks he is too cool to be on Facebook. My vision for Will's profile is extremely simple. I did not pick him because I thought it would be easy to do, I picked him because anyone else I could think of already has an existing page and I would have no room to create it in MY mind. Will is a recent Clemson University graduate with a degree in Civil Engineering. He is not employed at an engineering firm in Augusta, GA. His activities here at Clemson included intramural tennis, basketball, and the Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity. He has a girlfriend who is currently a senior here. His profession speaks volumes about his personality. He is very structured and likes to leave things neat and simple. So, I believe that if he had to chose between My Space and Facebook he would pick the latter, for its structured template and clearcut options.

Networks: Clemson Alumi
Sex: Male
Relationship Status: In a Relationship
Political Views: Very Conservative

Contact Info: Email Address Only

Personal Info:
Interests: Tennis, Basketball, Running, Clemson Football
Music: Ecclectic Interests

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes you're turkey will be juicey but your bread will by dry. . .and sometimes the your bread will be stale but your turkey will be dry. . .but every now and then. . . every now and then, both will be good at the same time."


He probably wouldn't be interested in revealing a lot of personal information about himself online, which might be why he does not have a profile in the first place. However, he has a very dry sense of humor, which explains his favorite quote. Anyway, that is why I chose to skip some of the options.

No comments: