Thursday, November 8, 2007

Computer Graphics: What is animation?

Issues related to the technologies of the computer are the most rapidly changing of any media. Our society has moved into an age where any medium less sophisticated than the digital image is unacceptable. This idea of animated photo realism is the beginning of this new age.
I don't keep up with all of the "animated" movies that come out these days. I know more about the traditional animations that I grew up watching. I use quotation marks to leave open the definition for animation. To me, animation is found in the actual image that is viewed. The image of animation that is projected in my mind is of the traditional, hand-drawn cartoon movies (The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, etc.). It saddens me that it appears to be a dying art. Animation in this new age of photo realism lies within the fantasy of the story plot.
There are definitely pros and cons for each side of "animation." Photo realism allows us to create concrete images when appropriate and cartoons allow us to create more romantic images when necessary.

No comments: